Subject: [Leica] Leica] Curious about enlargements made by LUG forum members
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Jul 9 23:40:14 2005

Scott:  I get my pictures developed at a local camera store that is
somewhat between a pro lab and your typical minilab.  They do a good job,
and unlike Costco, they don't scratch the negatives (much, anyway).  They
also do "real" B&W in Xtol and print them (without color cast!) on the
color print machine.   It's about 15 bucks per roll, including a set of 4x6
prints and a CD with scans suitable for Web display.

I get:

1.  A set of 4x6 prints so my wife can look at them whenever she wants, and
I don't have to scan the ones that have sentimental value but are not up to
my artistic standards (assuming I actually have any).  I also can use the
prints as proofs.

2.  An easy way to share some shots on the web with family, friends and
photo groups without having to scan them.

3.  The ability to scan only the images I want to print, or that are too
contrasty or difficult lighting for the camera shop's scanning and printing.

I scan at 4000 dpi on a Canon FS-4000US.  The smallest size I print myself
is 5x7.  I've always liked this size.  As our resident sage Mark Rabiner
puts it, 5x7 is both big enough and small enough at the same time.  Many of
my available light people pictures end up 5x7.  I find it economical to cut
up sheets of 11x14 Epson Matte Heavyweight into four 5x7 sheets
each.  That's going to be replaced by Epson Enhanced Matte when I run out
of the latter.  I haven't yet been seduced by Hannemawhatchamacallit Photo
Rag, though that might happen eventually.

For B&W, I use an Epson 1280 with MIS Ultratone 2 Hextone inks.  For color,
I have an Epson R200 that cried out unto me from the on-sale rack at CompUSA.

I also print letter size (8.5x11) for landscapes that warrant it, and for
B&W's of sufficient quality.  I only occasionally print 11x14, and only in
B&W.  I've also used a lab for 11x14 B&W's of ISO 1600 film, because the
grain aliasing of my scanner makes what I can do digitally at that size
slightly less satisfactory than a really good wet process darkroom
can.  When I want larger than letter size in color, I take it to a
lab--probably because my color printer only goes up to letter size.

I used to do wet darkroom, but I don't have time or space now.  Someday I
might process my own B&W film again.  I do prefer the computer to the wet
darkroom.  Yes, a silver print is beautiful, but I can do better prints
overall on the computer.

Slides, I get developed at a pro lab near where I work.

--Peter

Scott asked:

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Leica] Curious about enlargements made by LUG forum members)