Subject: [Leica] Curious about enlargements made by LUG forum members
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Mon Jul 11 05:41:27 2005

On 11/07/2005, at 10:35 PM, Scott McLoughlin wrote:

> I've made some 11x14 (color) prints from my D70 (all tripod mounted,
> studio lighting shots) that seemed to hold up pretty well.
>
> But 5x7 and 8x10 prints from scanned B&W negs are so far more pleasing
> than my 11x14 and 11x17 enlargement attempts.  Perhaps its just because
> most of my Leica + B&W shooting is handheld.
>
> I really enjoyed Barry Thornton's book as well. Nicely written,
> although I've
> also heard from some detractors regarding his opinions on max print
> size
> (10x10" from a Hassie negative, for example).

10 x 10 was at the bottom of his recommendations: I think he was happy
at about 12 to 15" square, but I'd need to check

> I've been eyeballing and researching MF gear for about a year now, and
> haven't yet pulled the trigger on a buy decision. I love shooting my
> Leica
> kit, but me'thinks I'm getting closer to that MF system by the day. Now
> what will it be:  Mamiya RZ/RB67, Hassie 501C/M or Rolleiflex?

Try a TLR, the M6 of medium format: beautifully built, razor sharp
images, wonderful engineering, quite and versatile, almost perfect ;-)

Cheers

Alastair

Message from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Curious about enlargements made by LUG forum members)
Message from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Curious about enlargements made by LUG forum members)