Subject: [Leica] More IIIf
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Mon Jul 11 06:18:48 2005

I'm a big fan of the screwmount cameras, and it is a pleasure to see
you posting the pictures that you've gotten from yours.  I really like
vintage gear, and part of the pleasure of getting into screwmount
Leicas is that it opens up a whole world of interesting lenses and
accessories.  If you like collapsible lenses, I strongly recommend
getting the Summitar.  A good clean example of the Summar is a real
joy to use, although I went through several duds before I got a good
one.  The same sort of "Russian roulette" happens when you get the
Soviet lenses -- it took me several tries to get a decent 50/1.5
Jupiter.  You might also want to seek out Canon lenses -- I prefer the
100/4 to the 90/4 Elmar because although it has a similar signature,
it has a bit more reach.  The Canon 100/3.5 is one of the really great
tele lenses, and is really light.  The 100/2 is a behemoth, but great
low light capacity, and the 35/2 is also a first rate lens.  I'm
hoping to get the 50/1.2 Canon, but it is tough to get a clean example
of this with the lens hood.

I have to warn you though -- once you get hooked on these, you'll
start picking up other screwmount bodies.  When you get a few Leica
screwmounts, you'll start looking at other screwmount bodies, like the
Niccas, that offer an M style back and lever film advance on a Barnack
style body.

Mark