Subject: [Leica] Virtual Summicron at Photoshop
From: bonvini at optonline.net (Jay)
Date: Mon Jul 11 20:54:09 2005

Ken

I am right down the road in Fairfield.
I have a IIIF which I take out now and then and try and make images with.
But, mostly I shoot with an older (1979) Canon F1 with a 17mm - love this
lens. Been toying with the concept of getting a wide for the IIIF, but
haven't found one yet.
I have not posted to the PAW yet as I get the impression that if the image
was not captured with some item from Leica, it would be OT.

Used to wet process, back in Calif, did the Ansel Adams weekend workshop in
Yosemite back in the 70's  - then shooting with a Calumet 4x5 and
occasionally with an 8x10 that I would borrow from my photo instructor. Shot
commercials - Peterbilt trucks with 11x14 color transparencies, table top
food ads, cars - racing and collectors, lots of nature. My friends and I had
a group modeled after the f64 group called the "Garden of the Blind" where
we get together and show our work. A lot of good natured ribbing concerning
print presentation and many heated discussions regarding why an image was
worthy of being taken and presented. "What was happening to just off the
frame edge?" was a standard question.

Interesting that I find the older technologies seem to make me concentrate
on the taking of the image more. The metering, framing, all of that seems to
make the image capture more significant. The F1 is a bit closer to the "snap
shot" mentality, but I still like the look.

Can't make the move to digital capture quite yet - digital just doesn't have
the film look yet. I do scan and print digitally. After 30 years in the
motion picture business, having gone through photo-chemical into digital, I
have reservations about originating in digital - keep looking.
Doesn't look quite the same.
I remember that Quantel and Discreet used to find me a real pain in the
seating arrangement as I would always ask to see the original negative
compared to the digital to film output - at that time only Kodak could get
it close.
Jay Ignaszewski