Subject: [Leica] [OT] Now that the Olympus C-8080 has been discontinued...
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue Jul 12 19:07:35 2005

Spencer,
The whole family of 8MP cameras released two years ago were not a
commercial success in the market, Olympus's 8080 included.

There have been several 7MP cameras released recently that provide a
much better image, especially at higher ISO's.  I would take a look at
the Canon Powershot G-6 and the Sony V3 as two capable cameras.  Both
are a little on the large size for pocket use but picture quality is
very good for a P&S.  Both are getting to be a little long in the
tooth so deals might be out there.

Of course if you are looking at this size camera then take a look at
the Olympus Evolt SLR.

Should you want a camera that is very small and also takes a great
image then I would take a look at the Sony W7, the Casio Exslim Z750,
the Canon SD500, the Sony P150 or P200, and the Nikon 7900.

One of the reviewers at dpreview got it right, he/she was comparing
differences in cameras at effective print sizes over 40".  The
differences in these cameras are mostly in ergonomics and feature set,
not actual performance.

If you ruled out the Sony's then you could buy a 128MB SD card for
much less than $20, go to your local emporium, shot a shot or two with
all the camera and take a look at the results at home if you have a
card reader.

Enjoy the hunt.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com