Subject: [Leica] The Shakeout
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jul 13 10:05:46 2005

In a message dated 7/13/05 9:14:12 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

> I take my cameras out and I make PHOTOGRAPHS, the camera i use, LEICA,
> makes
> me THINK about the photographs before I take them. I compose them in my
> mind, and capture them on film, and then I develop this film and PRINT it
> in
> my DARKROOM. Today's kids brains have been destroyed by auto-idiot cameras
> and they don't understand anything. Which is why their "photographs" are so
> bad. The so called "digital" is not photography. PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE
> CREATION
> OF AN IMAGE ON FILM. My Leica cameras will last for another one-hundred
> years, and if I am not around to use them, then my grandchildren will use
> them and they will be just as capable as producing PHOTOGRAPHS then as they
> are now.
>
> I'm glad many of you have been waiting for someone to say this.
>
> George
>
> --------------------------------------
George,

Don't despair. We're going through a shakeout period in photography. The
tree
is developing another branch, but the trunk and roots are intact, which is
traditional technology.

I've been doing some chinning on the new branch with a Nikon D70 and an Oly
5050. Digital has its uses for swift distribution and feedback, but it is
not
permanent, has no negative for credibility, and the image is smoothed out by
circuitry so there's no analogue tooth to it. Also cataloging digital images
is
very difficult because it has no center: no negative we can go back to for
the
record. I've given up trying to integrate my negative files with my digital
files; so I'm keeping them separate. I'll avoid climbing too far out on the
digital limb, however attractive it may be. It's a long fall to the ground.

Bob R