Subject: [Leica] Bill Pierce on the Leica today
From: jpphoto at hci.net (John Payne)
Date: Thu Jul 14 21:15:24 2005

Hello again,
I just wanted to offer  my 2 cents again on this topic.
Anytime I shoot a wedding, My goal is not to be "the man" as someone put it
but to simple deliver the product I was asked to do. It's not about having
the biggest camera outfit there to upstage "uncle mike" with his digital
rebel, but to act professionally.
My coverage is 15% posed, 85% candid which I have done with many different
cameras and my experience shows mr that people caught up in the moment of
the event, a wedding, could care less about what camera system you are
using, assuming you can use one system competently as well as another.  I
have seen 35mm shooters stumble with loading a hassy and medium format
people try and use the "one lens fits all" method of shooting with a 35mm
and call it photojournalism.  Competent handling and a knowledge of the
event you are shooting can make all the difference in the world in being
"unseen" at a wedding.   Not literally but certainly not being the center of
attention. There are certain attributes to systems that allow one to be more
unobtrusive than others.  I love when my 180mm 2.8 allows me to shoot a
bride from across a dance floor without her ever knowing there's a camera on
her.
Again, just my thoughts.
John Payne
www.johnspayne.com