Subject: [Leica] Zeiss Planar 50/2 vs. latest Summicron 50/2
From: DLawrence at fkp.com (Don Lawrence)
Date: Wed Jul 20 11:54:50 2005

I have the new 50mm planar from Zeiss and have been quite pleased with it so
far.
A long time Contax/Zeiss user, I bought it because I was excited to have a
Zeiss alternative for the M series and there was
An individual selling a new/used one for $599.

I also have a M5 vintage 50mm summicron which is a fine lens. May go up for
sale real soon.

I will not be doing any significant comparisons, but if you like any of the
other Zeiss offerings (Hasselblad or Contax)
you should be satisfied with the new planar.

Also, I use a cheap third party 48mm screw in lens shade on the new planar -
works great!

Don