Subject: [Leica] Re:35/2,8 Summaron-grub screw?
From: wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith)
Date: Wed Jul 20 13:57:06 2005

"grub screw" is that a "set screw"? You need an Allen wrench to R/R?

Seth Rosner <sethrosner@nycap.rr.com> wrote:Graham, in the unlikely event
that you may be ready now to consider a
Summaron, there is one on eBay, item #7531652637, a screw-mount example that
looks to be in very good condition indeed. I bid on it low-ball, thinking I
might "steal" it (I am eleitzsummicron). It is currently at $199.US. Don't
know if you also use a screw-mount Leica; if so, this lens would be
particularlty useful, if not, an adapter puts it on your M2 or M6 (easier as
you do not need a 35mm VF).

Really good, clean bayonet Summarons have been going above $500. and
screw-mounts another $100-150 above that.

Be aware that some early lenses were built as screw-mount lenses and the
factory installed LTM-to-M adapters, securing them with a tiny grub screw
through the edge of the adapter and into the back flange of the lens. When
buying an early example, a screw-mount lens that left the factory as an M
lens and later had the factory-installed adapter removed will show the
little hole into which the grub screw fit. A "true" screw-mount lens will
have no such hole.

The difference is nil to a photographer but the value in the marketplace of
the "true" screw-mount lens is higher.

More than you wanted to know!

Seth