Subject: [Leica] Computer help!!!
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed Jul 20 19:58:57 2005

At 10:18 PM 7/20/2005, you wrote:
I keeping spare drive cables and canned air on hand, so when I get wierd
results
>I usually unplug all the drive connections, blow them out well, sometimes
>switch to another cable, reconnect everything, making sure it's all seated
>well, and then wait for everything to cool down.  Usually the problem will
>cure
>itself.  (It's worth noting that in my case this includes dismantling the
>external cases and checking THAT drive connection, too.)

This actually happened twice with my big Lacie external hard drive.  It
totally disappeared from the main computer.  I disconnected it and let it
cool down and it showed up but as totally empty.  I disconnected it again,
waited two days, and when I hooked it back up, everything was there.  I
backed it all up at that time onto the other external hard drive which
eventually failed.

>WD warranty service is first
>rate, as I have occasion to know.  I've had to USE it way too many times.
>Now
>I just buy someone else's drive.)

Not good.  A good warranty is better than nothing, but it certainly doesn't
pay for the hours and hours of work lost because the drive fails.  I wish I
had e-mailed the LUG before I ordered my WD hard drives. :- (

Tina

Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Computer help!!!)
Message from leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee) ([Leica] Computer help!!!)