Subject: [Leica] Computer help!!!
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed Jul 20 22:50:29 2005

Tina,

I am sorry to hear about all your troubles, and I do not agree that a
Mac would necessarily make it all well. I agree with Brian that there
must be something systemic to cause all those disc crashes; the
probability of 6 HDs failing in a short time is simply so low that I
refuse to believe that the problem lies there.

FWIW, I have a Dell laptop at work which I have dragged all over the
place for 2.5 years without any problem. My coworkers, all of whom also
use Dell machines, have not had problems either. I have 4 Windows XP
machines running at home at the moment, and the only time they crash is
when the children download stupid software from the net which mucks up
their settings. Never a hardware problem with any of the components. I
have a Toshiba laptop which is now retired after 8 years or so, only
because it is simply too long in the tooth to run today's software--all
the hardware works perfectly. So I really do not believe that the
problem is with Win XP machines per se, it must be something specific to
you computer. Even Apple people (unless they are fundamentalists) admit
that XP is very close in terms of functionality and stability to their
beloved OS whatever.

I also find it hard to believe that there are no competent computer
people in an area like the Carolinas. You mentioned Charlotte (I realize
it is in NC, but maybe not too far from you?). Surely there must be some
competent people in a major city like that, a college town to boot. My
own best experiences have always been with small shops, run by people
who assemble computers for customers to their specifications. The guys
in those places usually know what they are doing.

Good luck!

Nathan
Nathan