Subject: [Leica] Vaseline & Leica, a good combination?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Jul 23 21:39:23 2005

I  know, and you know, I shouldn't respond to this kind of, pardon me, bull
shit!

Of the many leica's I've used over at east 45 plus years, I used 3 M6's for
15 years, like close to daily on working assignments all over the world
before switching to 3 M 7's and they never had a hint of Vaseline. Let alone
any of them had any kind of servicing! Now I bet that's a hell of a surprise
for some of you who think the camera should go for a CLA every year or so!
And in those years each camera would've had more film through them than most
of you would do in a lifetime! Having said that.

If one is going to use Vaseline inrelation to photography, do a smear on a
UV filter, very slightly and shoot through it for an interesting or whatever
effect you want to try. Damn nice some times. ;-) But never ever use
Vaseline or any other kind of grease or oil directly to the camera or lens!
Period!

But screwing around with Vaseline on a lens or body or any other working
part of a Leica is shear bloody lunacy!.Any idiot playing with "grease and a
leica" should be drawn and quartered! For those of you who think there's
some merit in this why don't you use your intelligence and send the camera
or lens for skilled technical servicing.

Playing with it yourself is like playing with some kind of time bomb you
have absolutely no idea what yer messing with.

And that goes for all the lunatic fringe who tell you a tiny smidgin here or
there is OK! As I said at the beginning... "it's bull shit!' Send the
camera, lens or whatever to a skilled technician!

Damn the meds don't work everyday! :-( An angry old man by number! :-( My
apologies if I've offended.:-(

ted