Subject: [Leica] computer crash ....
From: ccstirkjr at yahoo.com (Charles C. Stirk Jr)
Date: Sun Jul 24 11:02:03 2005

Jonathan very well put ...

I  just want to second all of of what Jonathan said..

As far as imaging & work flow goes I have found Mac is just
a little bit easer .....

With the "Special Deal"  Apple pricing on Apple Certified
Refurbished Products at the apple site quite the bargin
.... btw thanks to the person that pointed this out on the
lug .....

Chuck

I had a similar problem except that I replaced every single

piece of
my Windows PC ... discs x 2, memory, motherboard, CPU,
power
supply,
case etc.   and could never figure out where the problem
was,
that is
when I junked that PC and bought (another) Power Mac G5 ...

which
read the discs fine BTW.

I have both an external Firewire 800 and external SATA RAID
box
which
I use just as individual discs. These are "hot swap" so you
just
load
the drives into the hot swap carriers and plug them in when

used.
I've had trouble with the little external USB boxes.

I very seriously doubt the problem is with Maxtor .. if
there
are any
differences between difference discs, they are relatively
small,
and
wouldn't cause *6* drives to fail in sort order (FWIW my G5

shipped
with a Maxtor SATA 250).

I *would* seriously look at hooking up all your equipment
to a
very
good power supply with both brownout protection and battery
back
up.
Having such a series of equipment problems would make me
very
suspicious that you have AC power issues.

The Mac OS X journalled disc format is really excellent at
dealing
with hardware crashes and preserving hard disc data.

Having also gone through a similar issue, I would second
the
recommendation to just get a Mac ... my life has been much
saner
since.

Jonathan

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs