Subject: [Leica] We had company
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Jul 25 23:18:27 2005

Mark:

Thanks!  The "swirl thing" is part of a metal sculpture that shows stylized
waves, at the Ballard Locks fish  ladder.  I wasn't sure if it would be a
good shot or a gimmick, but I liked it, so I took it.

Why not the E-volt?  Size-wise, I probably would like it.  Although, oddly,
I find the smallest DSLRs a little too small for my big hands, despite the
fact that they fit comfortably around a Leica M with a Tom A. soft
release.  I guess I didn't get an E-volt primarily because it is even
noisier in low light and high ISO than the E-1, and the E-1 is not exactly
quiet.  At least with a 50/1.4 OM Zuiko, the E-1 and a bit of Neat Image,
ISO 400 and 800 is usable.  The E-volt is more marginal even at 400.  The
E-1 also has a brighter viewfinder, better build, and a couple of more
buttons and two dials to spread the functions over.  It's a very ergonomic
camera.  Yes, the E-volt's extra pixels would be nice, though.

I'm not 100% committed to the Olympus system.  I bought it partly because I
have Olympus lenses, which meant that I could try a bunch of things without
spending a fortune in lenses.  But I also considered the R-D1, which I
would have bought but for the price, the finder I could not see the 35 and
28mm lines though with glasses, the short base RF and the QC issues.  I
also seriously considered the Pentax *ist D--great viewfinder, lots of
cheap glass available, and better compatibility with legacy lenses than
anything else out there.  And even the C*non 10D for its low light
abilities (the 20D wasn't out when I got the E-1).

Most of the time, I'm glad I got the E-1.  It has great color, flesh tones
are especially good, and there's a "pop" to the pics. No dust on the
sensor.   But on many Mondays I wish I'd bought the R-D1.  On alternate
Tuesdays, I pine for the Pentax.  And when things go bump in the night, I
covet the 20D.

And whenever I want to crop much, need fine detail in a landscape, or have
to deal with high contrast, I either shoot film or wish I had.  DSLRs are
still "not quite" for me.  All of them.  They're all good, but they all are
less than film in a number of ways.  But at some point I had to get
something, because I could wait forever for digital nirvana, and meantime,
there's stuff to learn, pictures to take, and experimenting to do, and
digital is here.

--Peter

At 09:08 AM 7/25/2005 -0700, Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> wrote,
about this shot: