Subject: [Leica] Listen to the heart or the brain?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Jul 26 07:45:09 2005

Richard asked:

>I have a .72 M7, I'd like a .85 body...
> > My brain says another M7
> My heart says MP
> My pocket book says WTF, get a M6.
> > Arrrgghhh...<,

Richard,
A couple of things. Usually I'd say "heck man go with your heart!" ;-) But
if you already have one Leica M and are about to add to it with a different
viewfinder, without question buy the exact same body model and body action.

There's nothing more frustrating than working with two or three M's that do
not work in unison with your fingers and experience intuition. No matter how
bright something else is, or as I see a number of other posts with positives
for other body models. If your fingers are accustomed to moving and
adjusting the camera as though you're breathing, then all of a sudden you
have to learn to breath a new way when instinct is established in the use of
the older one? Trust me you'll get right ticked off if you shoot in a hurry.

Given I've always worked with 3 M's on most assignments, I unfortunately had
to work with one M7 and 2 M6's for a short period before the other M7's
arrived and it was, quite frankly a huge pain in the butt! :-(

So from experience and fingers trained to respond intuitively with the M6's
after 15 years use I screwed-up settings because they weren't identical
cameras. And as soon as the remaining M7's arrived the handling mistakes
disappeared immediately.

Twins mon ami, twins! In body and the seeing change becomes natural as soon
as you look through the viewfinder.

ted

Replies: Reply from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] Listen to the heart or the brain?)