Subject: [Leica] Re: Fave Leica copy (was Leica IIIF ?)
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Thu Jul 28 13:55:45 2005

On 7/28/05, GREG LORENZO <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca> wrote:

> The IIIF is a bargain compared to a IIIG or M3 with adapter and as
> mentioned smaller in size.

I have to say that I never really "got it" with the IIIg.  I certainly
like the idea of having frame lines in the viewfinder, but I find the
camera to be incredibly unfriendly to eyeglass wearers.  My "poor
man's IIIg" is a IIIc with the Leica 50mm brightline viewfinder -- a
much better package for less than half the price.  I also mounted one
of those little circular attachments for the wind knob that allows you
to advance the film by just swirling your finger around the knob,
which is faster than it sounds. Now, mount a 50mm finder on a Nicca 5
(Tower 45/46) and you have a combination of features that no IIIg can
match.

I guess this is turning into a "favourite Leica copy" thread.  What's
your pic?  I vote for the Nicca/Tower with the film advance lever.  I
understand that there are a couple of Leotax models (including the TV2
-- I was outbid on one of these by just a few dollars on eBay a few
years back) that have an advance lever and frame lines in the
viewfinder.  The Nicca lacks the framelines, but has an M style back
for easier loading.  That beats a IIIg hands down IMHO.

Mark

Replies: Reply from msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Leitz IIIc, IIIf, and IIIg Cameras)