Subject: [Leica] father and son...
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Jul 28 20:34:29 2005

Adam said:
>> I'm sure someone like Ted will give you a better opinion.>>

Hi Steve,
Well I'm at a loss to understand what Adam is on about with loss of detail
in the black shadow area of the old fellows head. Heck who cares was the
first thought that came to mind simply because ..... Look at his face man
that's what counts! The back of head is nothing but black shadow anyway. So
like I said shadow schmadow so what. :-)

After all, this is Arizona cook yer butt brilliant unforgiving sun! It only
works two ways... brilliant and black shadow! And there isn't any
in-between, unless you carry around the world's largest reflector and
someone to hold it in a non-distracting manner to fill the shadows. Or a
large "twinkie light!" Of course unseen by the subject when it fires a
brilliant blast of light to counter the power of the sun! ;-)

In this picture there isn't any question, it's all about the elderly man and
his wonderful aged sun dried wrinkles! And even though it was pointed out
his son in the back ground would be better to be in sharp focus hardly
washes simply because.... go back to the face and wrinkles and that's what
this photograph is all about. Forget the son he's only a space filler!

And it's not in a studio where you have all the controls you want. So
everyone relax, be thankful we have it to look at and yes I'll agree that
the shadows could be made lighter and any other improvements one wishes to
ask for or imagine. But hey guys this is a quick totally uncontrolled
situation and it's a damn fine moment as it is.

I respect all the other opinions and yer probably all correct, but take it
for what it is as shown... a damn fine photograph. And I'd surely like to
work around the old fellow for a few days to capture that wonderful face in
all kinds of light and expression.

So there you go eh? ;-) Have a go at 'er! ;-)
ted

Message from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] father and son...)
Message from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] father and son...)