Subject: [Leica] Piercings and Tatoos
From: dennis at hale-pohaku.com (Dennis Painter)
Date: Mon Aug 1 15:51:26 2005

This is a very interesting set of photos. One certainly needs to know a
bit of what's going on here to understand them. I am glad that Tina is
working on this project as I doubt anyone could do better than her.
Despite that I am not sure photographs will lead to greater
understanding.

Much has been said of and about different cultures and cultural
differences.  Here are my beliefs.

It's almost impossible to truly understand another culture. Perhaps if
you know all the history, can read the language, and live within that
culture for years, then, you might really understand.

If you apply your standards, your culture, against another you are lost
to understanding.

The best way of "understanding" is to accept that what they believe and
do is correct to their way of life and culture. Respect their culture.
This helps greatly to avoid forming prejudice in your mind.

It's hard for me to put this into words.

Replies: Reply from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Piercings and Tatoos)