Subject: [Leica] Protecting your eyeglasses from your older M
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Aug 1 19:21:33 2005

At 06:44 PM 8/1/05 -0500, Frank F. Farmer wrote:
>I was wondering what most folks use to keep from scratching their
eyeglasses with the metal eyepiece of older M's. I used a little snap-on
plastic protector that I purchased from Don Goldberg for a while but it was
knocked off my camera sometime this weekend and lost forever. I have often
wondered about the little do-nuts that Stephen Gandy has at Camera Quest
but have neither seen nor used one. What to ya'll use? Likes? Dislikes? I
need to find a replacement.

Wimps!  Youse guys are wimps!

I used to always use glass lenses but since the VA went over to plastic
lenses, I have been using these, for the past four or five years.  What is
the problem?  My main cameras are Leitz or Leica vehicles, ranging from a
IIIc to a Wetzlar M6, and I have not a problem with modern plastic lenses,
or glass lenses, and the metal rim of the viewfinder on the cameras.

Wimps use plastic or rubber rings and the like but these ought to be
unnecessary:  modern lenses are REALLY tough and if you guys are buying
quality lenses, then Bob's your uncle.  If you are relying on the latest
designer models for $1.99 at your village Econo-Mart, well, you pays the
cheap price and you runs the risk of failure.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505