Subject: [Leica] Question for photojournalists concerning digital photos
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed Aug 3 18:16:02 2005

At 08:02 PM 8/3/2005, you wrote:

>Actually sounds like a lot of work but it isn't any more than we
>did/do with slides. But we are amassing a pile of CD's and even
>though each is identified I'm sure some day it's going to be what
>doesn't make the third and final cut will just be deleted due to
>space for storage.
>ted

CD's will never do, Ted!  You need at least DVD's, preferably the new
two-sided ones.  Even better, get some external hard drives - 400GB's
or so and fill those up.  Use a cataloguing software like Extensis
Portfolio or IView Media Pro.  I used to use Portfolio but I have
switched to IView because the thumbnails are better.  You can find
anything, anytime.  Save it by date or by project information and the
cataloguing software keeps up with where it is, whether it is a DVD
filed in a hanging file, or an external drive disconnected.

Storage costs are getting cheaper all the time and I'm looking now at
services that offer off-site storage for fairly cheap prices per
Gigabyte!  I'm waiting for the Terabytes ;-)

Tina

Message from gwlists at aol.com (Gerry Walden) ([Leica] Question for photojournalists concerning digital photos)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Question for photojournalists concerning digital photos)