Subject: [Leica] 35mm Non Leica LTM Lens Recomendations?
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Thu Aug 4 09:08:05 2005

Greg,
I've been playing around with the Jupiter-12 on my IIIf. It's an f2.8 lens.

I just put up some shots from yesterday:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/By-Jupiter/05v30_0024
(Wide-open, slow shutter, 1/30).

http://gallery.leica-users.org/By-Jupiter/05v30_0021
http://gallery.leica-users.org/By-Jupiter/05v30_0022
(Kind of "normal" conditions)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/By-Jupiter/05v30_0027
(The Jupiter-8 (50mm), wide-open. It's an f2.0 lens)

http://gallery.leica-users.org/By-Jupiter/05v30_0026
(Jupiter-8 under normal conditions).

These are not "plug-and-play" lenses. The Jupiter-12 focuses a bit in
front of what I'm focusing on, so I give it a slight twist to a longer
distance after focusing. The Jupiter-8 (50mm) focuses slightly (ever
so) behind, so I twist it just a little bit closer after focusing. You
can only tell when it is wide-open.

But to tell the truth, you get much better mileage if you just pick up
a Kiev (Contax copy) body and lenses (the same) to fit. You don't run
in to the same mismatches of focusing as you do with the screw-mount
lenses. The bodies are great. Just keep a roll a electrical tape
around to seal it up after loading film. Darkness likes to leak out of
them.

Built like tanks. Cheap.

Best, Daniel
(now back to vacation ... I was just touching bases now).