Subject: [Leica] A car stopped in front of our house...
From: clzeni at mindspring.com (Craig Zeni)
Date: Sat Aug 6 08:35:40 2005

On Aug 5, 2005, at 10:12 PM, Richard wrote:

> It's noisy and polluting and it is cool as heck. It's a ~1911 Pierce
> Arrow. The mechanic stopped in front of our house because the car
> needed some adjusting. It looks quite humble and used, unlike the ones
> on this website here: (not my pics :-) )
> http://community.webshots.com/album/17910423SoZAUvvArl

Frankly it looks like it's driven regularly, or as if it's just been
pulled from a barn after a long sleep.  I like this - it's a car, not a
stuffed & mounted museum piece that gets to move as much as my
furniture does.

> Of course I asked him if I can take some pictures!
>
> The engine, you can see the pistons moving up and down:
> http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5240

Valve springs, but who's counting :)

> The front grill. I love the headlights with old style glass front.
> http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5241

Probably not even electric lights, but acetylene...water was dripped on
solid carbide of some sort which released the gas.

> The mechanic making some adjustments with the engine
> http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5242
>
> The lantern on the side next to the mirror
> http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5243
>
> Back view, I am not sure whether the buckets are seats or "luggage
> space."
> http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5244

Either - depends on how you classify your mother-in-law as these were
commonly referred to as 'mother-in-law- seats :)

> Notice the two spare tires on the side. I suppose you can't just get
> those at any Firestone shop.
> http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5245
>
> The gas throttle is the small stick thing between the clutch and the
> brake. Very simple gauges.
> http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5246

Interesting - hand throttles were common at that time.

> The front undercarriage. The back wheel on the back is rotating. I
> guess it connects to the drive shaft.
> http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5247

Yep...that's the flywheel that's mounted to the end of the engine's
crankshaft.

> I was so impressed that I forgot to take a picture as it drove off :-)
> Oh well...

:(

But great catch and thanks for sharing!  80+ year old cars don't come
by every day...