Subject: [Leica] Platinum Printing
From: dfinch847 at aol.com (dfinch847@aol.com)
Date: Sat Aug 6 22:50:34 2005

"Platinum printing is a contact printing only process.  If you shoot
35mm, and there are those that do, you will have to make an enlarged
negative of the size you wish your print to be.   Somewhere I have
read, perhaps on the net, not sure, of people who make big contact
negatives on a high-quality inkjet printer on clear acetate film.  I
would think this would be the way to go, if you want to shoot with
minature films."

I dunno. I not sure I'd want to mess around trying to blow up a 35mm
negative into order to make a platinum contact print. You need a really
tight, sharp, contrasty negative to get the benefits of platinum
printing, which is all about tone rendition. I suspect that even the
best Leica lenses can't put enough tonal data on 35mm film to yield a
suitable 8x10 digital negative. Of course, with Photoshop you can
interpolate the hell out of any image and add whatever tonal data you
want. If you have an artist's eye, you can paint by numbers and make a
very pretty picture indeed. But it won't be real.

DSF

Replies: Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] Platinum Printing)