Subject: [Leica] country code for Canada.
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Mon Aug 8 18:09:01 2005

> And some people wonder why some Americans are ignorant that Canada is
> another country. They can't even have their own country code :-)

The NANP (North American Numbering Plan) assigned country code 1 to Canada,
the US, the Bahamas, Barbados, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, the British
Virgin Islands, the Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, Bermuda, Grenada,
the Turks and Caicos Islands, Montserrat, the Northern Marina Islands, Guam,
American Samoa, St Lucia, Dominica, St Vincent, the Grenadines, Puerto Rico,
the Dominican Republic, Trinidad and Tobago, St Kitts and Nevis, and Jamaica.

Many handbooks will tell you that, for example, the country code for Guam is
+1671, but they are lying. The country code for Guam is +1, and the NANP
prefix (NPA) is 671.

This means, among other things, that I can call Guam without using an
international dialing prefix. An amazing number of scams have developed from
the near-universal ignorance of this coding among wealthy US residents.

Message from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] country code for Canada.)
Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] country code for Canada.)
Message from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] country code for Canada.)