Subject: [Leica] Canon Anything vs. DMR (Now: Editing)
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Aug 11 10:02:11 2005

At 10:15 PM -0500 8/10/05, Robert D. Baron wrote:
>I've got Photoshop CS2 (which comes with Adobe Bridge), iView Media
>Pro (latest version for Windows) and Photo Mechanic.
>
>For quickly viewing and editing Photo Mechanic is orders of
>magnitude faster than either Bridge or iView Media Pro (which is in
>fact much faster than even the latest 'improved' version of Bridge).
>
>However, I feel obligated to point out that a number of users of
>iView Media Pro (including me) have had problems with it crashing
>and losing catalogs that have taken a long time to create.  Not
>everyone has this problem but it has happened to a statistically
>significant number of users, as you can see if you browse the
>support forum (see, for example,
>http://www.iview-multimedia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7527#7527 ).
>
>I am saying this just as a caution.  I think the program is really
>nice; it has a lot of good features, including some slick web
>gallery templates.
>
>However, for some folks it is unstable.
>
>--Bob

Hmmmmm.....

I'm on a Mac, and have tried Photo Mechanic, and have used iView
since it was shareware. On a Mac, the speed difference you mention
between Photo Mechanic and iView was not apparent to me, and I have
never had it trash a catalog.

I've used it daily, and since OSX came out it has crashed maybe
twice. The corrupted data file mentioned in the referenced forum is
certainly nasty, but can happen to almost any write operation when
the program crashes. I agree that there can and probably should be
better integrity protocols. I'm not clear where you get
'statistically significant' with regard to this issue, unless you
mean that this should never happen to anyone, ever. I do feel for you
if you've lost a catalog, as it would certainly take a lot of time to
re-create mine.

I do back things up though so I wouldn't be in the same situation as
the people in the forum thread. (Two backups for the catalog).

So far iView has been more reliable and stable than Portfolio, with
catalogs sizes up to 110,000 images. There's nothing I've seen out
there that would suit me better.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  |[ ]|     http://www.archiphoto.com

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Canon Anything vs. DMR (Now: Editing))