Subject: [Leica] 19mm Elmarit-R current vs. Vario-Elmar 35-70/ f/3.5. Is the 19 so much better, as it would appear?
From: krieger at usc.edu (Martin Krieger)
Date: Thu Aug 11 20:34:23 2005

This morning I went out and photographed people at bus-stops using the
Vario-Elmar (35-70, f/3.5,German), mostly set at 70mm. Then later in the day
I photographed some street scenes using the 19mmElmarit-R, current,  f/2.8.
Looking at my transparencies, I find that the quality of the faces (all
quite small, due to distance) is much better in the Elmarit images than in
the Vario-Elmar's.  Maybe I did not focus well in the latter case, or
perhaps the f stop was a bit wider (less light in morning). But the
difference is noticeable. I realize this is not at all scientific or
objective, but have people similar experiences, or is this just too messy a
comparison to learn anything from it?
Martin
krieger@usc.edu

Replies: Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr) ([Leica] 19mm Elmarit-R current vs. Vario-Elmar 35-70/ f/3.5. Is the 19 so much better, as it would appear?)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] 19mm Elmarit-R current vs. Vario-Elmar 35-70/ f/3.5. Is the 19 so much better, as it would appear?)