Subject: [Leica] Eisenstaedt's The Kiss
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Aug 12 17:35:36 2005

At 07:57 PM 8/12/05 -0400, Ed Kowaleski wrote:
>NBC News this evening (Friday, August 12), commorated Eisenstaedt's V Day
>picture of the Nurse and Sailor entitled "The Kiss".  They showed a picture
>of Eisenstaedt holding what appears to an old Rolleflex and, of course, the
>implied suggestion is that he took the picture with a Rollie.  I always
>assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that because of Eisenstaedt's mutual
>admiration relationship with Leica that the picture was taken with a Leica.
>Anyhone know for sure?
>
>Ed Kowaleski

Ed

In my many intimate conversations with Eisie for the many years preceding
his death ....

er, no.  I had many opportunities to approach him but never had the nerve
to do so:  just what does one say to an ikon?

The customary pack for the Time-Life Photographers of that era was a
Rolleiflex Automat 2 or 3 for still shots and either a Leica III or Contax
II for action shots, though preferences varied.  I know a LOT about Capa's
practices but less about Eisie's customary gear.  But, still, yes, I had
always believed that shot to have been made with a Leica III or IIIa or
IIIb.  But I do not knw and could hardly be surprised to learn that it was
shot with a Rolleiflex.  (After all, I DO own the Rolleiflex List ... )

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505