Subject: [Leica] Neopan 400 vs. delta 400 in Xtol
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Aug 13 19:33:21 2005

On 8/13/05 6:48 PM, "Don Dory" <don.dory@gmail.com> typed:

> Mark,
> First, interesting times for Neopan 400.  I've been running thirteen
> minutes in Xtol 1:3.  Hmmm, I'll have to try a longer time to see what
> happens: although you are running about 63ml of Xtol and not the
> recommended 100 ml if I remember correctly.
>
> Second, where are you getting your Neopan 400?  My local stores are
> out and B&H has been backordered.
>
> Don
> don.dory@gmail.com

I get my film from a camera store luckily only a few blocks from me "Pro
Photo Supply".
I used to have to drive clear cross town to get there.
At least 8 minutes away!
Now I could WALK there in 8 minutes. A one minute drive.
http://www.prophotosupply.com/
It's got a walk in film cooler freezer. Not all that cold really. There are
no rent a scarf and mittens. You cant see your breath.
I hate ordering inventory. If it ain't available locally I tend to avoid it.

Yes I use 63mls per roll in regular metal tanks and reels unless I roll back
to back on the same real which I often do since reading an article by Bill
Pierce about in a Pop Photog in the 70's.
May sound funny but after my 1000th reel I figured I should not be
embarrassed about it.
So that's 31.25 mls of pure Xtol per roll!
Making the Kodak advice pretty ludicrous.
Luggers have seem my prints from these negs.
I may add a minute to my time if I've got a full tank of back to back reels
if I think of it. Then I write it down and loose it.

But Tmax 100 just eats the stuff for breakfast it seems.
I hate people who call it "TMX???" I have to use my fingers to figure out
which one they are talking about. But then I have to remember which letter
to start with.
I know for sure the Delta 3200 eats Xtol for breakfast. Or "NDZ" (just made
that up!)
I run that 1:1 which makes it much less sharp. Hence my relative non use of
the stuff which I think is no faster than 1200 in Xtol.
I put 220 320 Tri X Pro in my Rolleiflex 2.8 F TLR for street shooting.
"Pro" stands for "not Tri x" in that case.
They could come out with XXXX. Run THAT in "Xtol State of the Union".
But then they'd have Ice Cube repping it instead of Vin Deisel!
Vin Diesel could take Ice Cube with one hand behind his back!
A flame thrower is what Ice Cube is really worried about.
That's like green Kryptonite for Superman!

Or a hot day with no air conditioning!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon