Subject: [Leica] Re:OT Photoshop question
From: eperea at walkereng.com (Emilio Perea)
Date: Sun Aug 14 14:19:35 2005

On Sat, Aug 13, 2005 at 11:37:10AM -0500, Christopher Williams wrote:
> Thanks for everyone's help. It appears laptops(PC) do not use the same Alt
> -
> numbers as home PCs. I ended up cutting and pasting from Word(ctrl+alt+R).

I tried on Dell, HP and Toshiba laptops, and <Fn+Alt>0174 worked on all
of them when running Windows XP.  The 0 was not required with other
versions of Windows.  The 0174 code needs to be entered on the numeric
keypad, so you need to use <Fn+Alt> and use the embedded keypad.

Somewhere in the Accessories menu is the Character Map application which
shows all the available characters in all the installed fonts and makes
it simple to copy and paste.  Since I think menus are for Canon users, I
just type "charmap" at the command prompt.  When you click the
"Registered Sign" symbol you can select and copy it if you like, but it
also shows on the lower right-hand corner "Keystroke: Alt+0174".  The
keyboard shortcuts are only available for the standard 8-bit characters
(which makes me wonder why they needed to add the 0).  Anyhow, if you
ever feel the need to use one of the several thousand Chinese characters
in Unicode fonts, you can find them there.

> Let's drop this thread and everyone go out and get protection for you lens
> caps and battery covers. It's Saturday and there's some shootin' to be
> done!
> And you KNOW that Kyle's going to post some
> stop-the-presses-I'm-now-the-Photo-God- image.

Too late now.  I lost my last lens cap years ago.  Is that Kyle the
famous kitten photographer?

Emilio

Message from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re:OT Photoshop question)