Subject: [Leica] Very OT: native Spanish speaker?
From: eperea at walkereng.com (Emilio Perea)
Date: Wed Aug 17 16:12:24 2005

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 10:54:55AM -0700, Brian Reid wrote:
> The Spanish term for a bishop's mitre is "el inglete".

I'm not familiar with that word.  I've always known it as "mitra", which
is what the Vatican website calls it.

According to the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language's dictionary:

inglete.
(Del fr. anglet).
1. m. Angulo de 45 grados que forma la hipotenusa de un tri?ngulo
      rect?ngulo is?sceles con cada uno de los catetos.
2. m. Uni?n a escuadra de los trozos de una moldura.

The second definition corresponds to mitre, but in the carpenter's
rather than the bishop's usage.

> If I were to translate that title as "la casa de ingletes" (changing caja
> to casa), would a native speaker of Spanish recognize this as a pun, or
> would it just seem illiterate?

I would not recognize a pun, but don't think I would consider it as
being illiterate.  It would seem more like an obscure name.  OTOH, there
are two fancy signs for Spanish-speaking churches that I go by every day
which are obviously and embarrassingly illiterate.  ...I really need to
write to them and explain the problems.

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Very OT: native Spanish speaker?)