Subject: [Leica] Places to look for used lenses?
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Mon Aug 22 07:16:37 2005

I had a M3 body and went through a lot of budget lenses.  Some I still
use, even though I have their Leica equivalents and have moved on to a
M6.  One of the biggest bargains around is a Jupiter 3 which is a 50mm
f1.5 copy of the Zeiss Sonnar lens.   Look for a later model black
version of this.  You won't be disappointed with the performance of
this lens at all.  Even cheaper is the collapsible Industar 50, which
is the Soviet equivalent of the red scale Elmar.  Also, keep an eye
out for a good Canon 100mm f3.5, which is really a remarkable
performer and works well enough with the 90mm framelines on the M6.
All of these lenses are as good or better than many of their Leitz
equivalents -- I'm assuming that you aren't going to spring for the
latest versions of Leica lenses, which I'm leaving out of this
comparison.  The 35/2 Canon is also a great lens, but you can get a
35/2.8 Summaron for the same money, so I can't really say that this is
a budget alternative.

In Leica lenses, the 50/2 Summitar is a lot of lens for the money.

Mark

Message from kd7olf at xmission.com (Gerald Homeyer) ([Leica] Places to look for used lenses?)