Subject: [Leica] Canon Introducs 2 new digital SLRs
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Mon Aug 22 10:55:09 2005

Adam Bridge <abridge@gmail.com> wrote:

> Leica may be big on the "no AA filter" but all those
> digital sampling classes I took SCREAM that you
> have to bandwidth limit when doing digital sampling.

Yet the vast majority of the DMR sample images I've seen with the software
AA filter off have shown few if any artifacts, and when the software AA
filter is used the remaining artifacts are gone.

> I'll be eager to test all of this out - although some rigourous method
> of testing the DMR and 1Ds Mk II (even using the same optics) would
> have to be devised and I don't know what that would be.

I'd also like to see (better yet, perform) a rigorous test, though using the
same lens w/ different crop factors would compicate the comparison
significantly.  One comparison (not rigorous enough IMHO) has been posted at
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/267995/0.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com