Subject: [Leica] China Travel Advice
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Tue Aug 23 19:17:54 2005

Hi Tina,

I have been to China only for work so my experience is limited to
Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen. [Nope, not born there :-)]

There are plenty of interesting subjects in the big cities but the
bulk of the population lives inland and away from cities. In Beijing,
I found just walking around the side streets with the markets and
small shops interesting. There has been a very large scale internal
migration in China toward the coast which is booming. Large as in
150M people. There are many examples of abject poverty and wealth in
cities like Shanghai.

You are going to get stared at especially away from the cities.
Relative few people speaks English in the country side. The biggest
issue is the smaller towns and villages will probably be
accommodations. The small town hotels will typically only accept
Chinese clients (not even oversea Chinese like me though I might be
able to sweet talk them into taking me in).

China is very much a cash-based society though that is slowly
changing the in the big cities. The only place where your bank cards
will work in the ATMs are at the Bank of China (and only at the major
branches). I was told cashing traveller cheques also has to be done
at the Bank of China. Credit cards are accepted mainly at Western
standards hotels and nicer restaurants though that could be a hit or
miss proposition.

I have seen the Yangtze cruise pictures from other people - not
terribly interesting. Photographically what would be more interesting
would be to go up some of the smaller tributaries of the Yangtze. The
Yangtze itself is dirty and the banks are heavily industrialized.

The Forbidden City, Great Wall and Summer Palace is worth a visit
though you are likely to see more foreigners there than any other
place in China. :-) Older parts of the cities are more interesting
though definitely dirtier. China is proud of the modern bits, not the
older bits of the cities. So much of the older neighbourhoods are
been torn down.

Be careful about politically sensitive subjects. Your guide should
assist you in that regards. Even though China has become more relaxed
politically in recent years (make more money!), never forget that
China is not democracy and the rule of law doesn't work the same way
as it does in the West. You are shielded to a certain extent by your
skin colour.

Contact me off-list if you would like to dig deeper into things.

Regards,
Spencer