Subject: [Leica] Universal viewfinder turret Russian Contax copy
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Wed Aug 24 07:15:35 2005

Yes, the Tewe finders are really good -- I think that they are
identical to the Nikon finders.  Since they operate with an internal
zoom, they often cover focal lengths that aren't covered by other
manufacturers.  Mine goes up to 180mm, for example.  I have a "finder
fetish" and seem to have accumulated a number of them.  You might also
find a bargain by getting an Argus finder.  These are the same as
those made for Braun cameras, and cover 50mm, 35mm and 90mm.  Very
compact and well made -- sort of a junior version of the prewar
Zeiss/Kiev/Fed/Zorki finder. Canon made some awesome finders with
attachments for very wide angle lenses -- they look like some sort of
Klingon device when mounted to your camera.  Frankly, upon reflection,
almost everyone made better universal finders than Leica.

The Soviets also made dedicated finders for various focal lengths, and
you may find that this suits your needs better than the "one size fits
all" compromises of a universal finder..  The jewel in the crown was
probably the 20mm finder with parallax correction (which I don't
have).  Although these don't have bright lines, they are very much
worth seeking out -- the 35mm in particular is a gem. If memory
serves, I got mine for $15 on eBay.  It is very light and comes in a
cool little bakelite container.

There were even waist level finders made for 35mm cameras -- I have
one nice one that was made by another company in Wetzlar that turns
your Leica into a TLR.  Great idea, although it would be better for
stealth photography if the viewer were brighter.

Mark

Message from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Universal viewfinder turret Russian Contax copy)