Subject: [Leica] Canon Introduces 2 new digital SLR's
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Wed Aug 24 12:12:09 2005

Everything that is printed commercially at sizes bigger than A3 is ripped,
thus enhanced.
I very rarely have to deliver files bigger than 50 Mb in CMYK (so a file of
A3 proportions at 300 dpi) to our production department, be it printed at
billboard size or not.
Commercial digital labs need only 150dpi files (Kodak stations f.i.) at 15
to 10 cm to produce a consumer level print of the same size. So they're
ripped, too.
If you don't need prints bigger than an A3, you only need a 5 or 6 megapixel
camera. The rest is about buffering, writing speeds, 8 bit or not etc
The whole 16 bit story is a bit funny, too: it's important in RGB, but CMYK
(thus traditional commercial printing) can never reproduce all the
tonalities of that RGB file. Compare it with the impossibility to get an
exact CMYK reproduction of an ektachrome.