Subject: [Leica] Katrina
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Thu Sep 1 08:10:23 2005

My wife's cousin and her family finally gave up today and are coming to
Natchitoches to stay with us, because the situation is so hopeless for short

term.  There was no flooding in their home, but also no running water, no
electricity, no hope of even buying groceries, much less getting rations.

If you have been watching the extensive reports on TV,  it is far  worse
than
you can imagine.

Willy Wilson, the photographer who took over my position when I left  news
at
WWL in 1973 was interviewed, and said "I've been shooting news for a  long
time, and this was the first time I ever had to wipe tears away to keep
shooting."

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
Natchitoches,  Louisiana
Oldest continuous settlement in La Louisiane
?galit?, libert?,  crawfish

In a message dated 9/1/2005 10:02:34 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
tim@kairosphoto.com writes:

>  "The cuts mean major hurricane  and flood protection projects will not  be
> awarded to local engineering firms.  Also, a study to  determine
> ways to protect
> the region from a Category 5   hurricane has been shelved for now."
>
>  http://tinyurl.com/bhkrf
>

> Regards,
>  Sonny

It does seem that for a country as developed as the US it's  taking an
inordinate amount of time to move the required number of national  guardsmen
to the area as well as for FEMA to organise medical teams etc (I  hear on CNN
this am that medical teams area just now being assembled  outside the
disaster area). Even aside from the massive loss of  infrastructure, it seems
things just aren't in place to deal with such  disasters.

It must seem like an eternity for those still stuck in the  immediate area as
law and order breaks down and there is a lack of medical,  food and water
resources etc.

tim a

Regards,
Sonny