Subject: [Leica] Schneideritis
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Thu Sep 1 13:22:44 2005

The typical white spots in some Schneider lenses (commonly known as
Schneideritis) are pretty harmless to the glass and absolutely not the same
as acid markings from fungus. Just send it for a CLA and the lens will
return fine. The exact origin of the spots remained a big question until
recently. It seems that one of the workers of the assembly line of certain
Schneider lenses just had a severe case of dandruft. This combined with an
oily substance he put in his hair called brillantine made the hair particles
invisible in the lens during quality control before leaving the factory (due
to refraction of light). It is only after a number of years and after a
chemical reaction following on temperatures above 45,7? centigrade, that
these white spots become visible. Visible but harmless.
At least that's what I've heard.