Subject: [Leica] Leica IIIa kit
From: rhc3vt at hotmail.com (Richard Coutant)
Date: Fri Sep 2 18:11:08 2005

Somehow I managed to accidentally delete and send the last message all at
once...What I was saying was that earlier tonight I was asked to look at a
bag of Leica stuff that my friend Arthur had inherited - a IIIa number
261667 in pristine condition, with absolutely sweet shutter, even the 1 sec
humming along, and an Elmar in much different condition than the camera,
tarnished, pitted, peeling but good glass - an older one with the
3.5/4.5/6.3/9/12.5/18 apertures.  As best as I could see with a magnifier
the lens number is 124167.  I told him that the only explanation I could
think of was that the lens was a later wartime or postwar item with the
finish problems typical of that era.  I have no lens number resources - does
anybody know how old this is?  In the bag was also a 9cm/f4 Elmar number
165147 in perfect condition with both front and rear metal caps, and an E.
Leitz New York complete illustrated price list from March 1939.  Along with
a bunch of Kodak filters and an Argus brochure(!)   What a pretty set.  I
told him to buy some film.

Richard

Replies: Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] Leica IIIa kit)