Subject: [Leica] Have you all read peter miller's book? NOW: SELF PUBLISHING
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Sep 13 17:10:02 2005

ernie nitka said:
Subject: Re:

> Speaking about books - those of us ( me ) with no talent are planning on
> 'doing' a book for 2006.<<<<<<<<<

Hi Ernie,
Some thoughts before you start. :-)

"Doing a book and selling a book"  is a major difference, actually it's
beyond scary when you consider publishing it yourself. Worse? Taking them to
book stores to be sold. And if you should complete it, as I'm sure you will,
you'll have many sleepless nights and horrible nightmares when a book
reviewer sans any photographic skills, takes it apart page by page making it
sound like it's truly a work of misplaced crap images. Then asks if you've
ever taken any real pictures? :-(

At that point you'll want to find out how long it takes him to stop kicking
while you hold him head down in the North Sea which of course maybe quite
satisfying to you. :-) But it sort of gets the "police officers a tad
upset!" :-)

However, your next book may have bars across the window as the cover. :-)

>>>Anyway I'm hoping to use
> Lulu.com to self publish.  I've done calendars with them but now it's time
> to step up to the big league ( both in terms of
> product and ego I guess).  Anyone on the list use Lulu for book
> publishing?<<<<

Your biggest problem is marketing and distribution, trust me, you do not
want to get into that, period! As it takes 99.9999999% of your time, great
piles of money, media connections beyond your wildest thoughts and "do you
really want to drive around the country to every little and big book store
trying to sell a few copies here and there?" Certainly on the normal book
sellers rules of...... "if they don't sell within a certain time the store
can ship them back to you for full refund  for what they paid you for them
in the first place!"

 Now does any of that warm the cockles of yer heart about publishing your
own book?? :-(

Maybe you've been published and know all this, but if you haven't, then make
sure you know all the horror stories and pit falls of economic disaster
before you load the cameras.

Whatever your subject, it maybe of huge interest to you and a few followers,
but to the rest of the world it means giddily squat and of no interest,
ERGO: No sales beyond the few friends who feel sorry for you and all the
work you put into it.

These are just a few heads-up before you get burnt.

By the same token many have had tremendous success on their own, but usually
the subject is sex, money and politics! ;-) Which in any form sells
extremely well. With pictures? Mon ami they deliver money in very big bags!
;-)

ted

Message from enitka1 at comcast.net (ernie nitka) ([Leica] Have you all read peter miller's book?)