Subject: [Leica] Photo in the news
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu Sep 15 20:24:46 2005

At 02:46 PM 9/15/2005 -0700, Tina Manley wrote:
>Not a Leica, but this is funny:
>http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/newswire/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001137642
>
>And this one from the same site is controversial but not funny:
>http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/newswire/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001137235

Both are perfectly legitimate photos.  The first is just plain funny.  And
I would find it funny whether it was of George Bush, Bill Clinton, Richard
Nixon or JFK.  Most of us have suffered through long meetings that tax the
bladder's limits.  That the President of the U. S. is not immune is
comforting.

I'm sure that Rush Limbaugh et al will rage at this example of liberal
media bias, and they are dead wrong.  Any newspaper editor worth his salt
would run this one, regardless of who the President and his party was.

As for the second one, it's actually a beautiful picture, and I caught the
analogy to the Pieta as soon as I saw it.  Nudity?  This is not what most
people mean when they say "nudity."  There is no prurience here.  The only
thing that bothers me a little is that the some might feel that the old man
is shown having lost all dignity.  But wait--someone thought to cover his
privates with a towel.  That shows *attention* to his dignity.

All in all, I think that this image of soldiers and a civilian medic saving
him together is a good thing.  That The Authorities couldn't get it
together earlier so the old guy wouldn't be in such bad shape is either a
disgrace or testament to the power of the storm.  Or both.  This could be
an iconic photo of the storm's aftermath.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from cochranpr at mac.com (David Cochran) ([Leica] Photo in the news)