Subject: [Leica] lighting critique request, take 2
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Sep 17 17:47:32 2005

Eric,
They all work! :-) The first batch and this batch. What you will find is, no
matter what happens each location will provide it's own light look! If
you're shooting digital then you can shoot a few in any location, look at
the results, make an adjustment for light bounce-balance in each place you
set up the lights. But generally bouncing the light it's going to work and
look natural light.

If you are shooting film and also have a digital camera use it much like we
did the Polaroid test shot to see what the light looked like first, make
adjustment if necessary, then shoot your film. ;-)

If you are only going to use this lighting set-up in your home location then
it'll work in almost any place you set-up within your home. Move to a bigger
room, then it changes due to reflection from other wall areas. And
definitely light to subject distance. But if you do nothing but adjust for
exposure it's going to work.

Generally using a high power strobe set up like you're working with as a big
"open light reflection source" they will probably always look OK as diffused
daylight.

In the really olden days when we used flash bulbs we'd take the reflector
off and shoot with bare bulb as it gave better lighting effect. "like
daylight natural light." :-) No harsh background shadows! ;-)

And basically that's what you're doing in your shooting with these. Basic
daylight soft light. Don't think about it too much, as you'll screw it up.
If you decide to shoot bounce off ceiling and wall set it up, flash a
couple, get a reading, set camera and blast away. Trust me it's as simple as
that.
ted