Subject: [Leica] DMR Scenic
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Tue Sep 20 12:25:09 2005

Depth of field is defined by  a plane.  A plane has no thickness.  Film or
Sensor, no difference....

Of course, this is theoretical and subject to digital camera makers'
marketing efforts......  I am sure some C or N or someone else will publish
"facts" and convince the public of the differences.....and therefore the
superiority of sensors......

Just for fun, as an aside, the thickness of film emulsion might be maybe
1/50 of a mm  ( I don't know, I just picked something small.)  A sensor
would have semiconductor thickness in the order of a tiny fraction of a
micron.  A micron is 1/1,000,000 of a mm.  No comparison of thickness.... a
sensor would approximate the plane.

If you think that because the film has thickness, and therefore your " plane
" of focus is thicker and therefore more stuff is in focus because there is
a thickness to the plane. then the thickness of the film, with all the
planes, would obscure the accuracy of the planes... what I am saying is that
you would have to peak through all those in focus and out of focus planes to
get the image... a hodge podge is ever there was one.....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

For same lens/f-stop combo is the DOF shallower for the DMR vs film?
I would assume it is because of the thinner detector plane versus relatively
'thick' film.
Rob