Subject: [Leica] Re streaks in bright areas
From: william.mattheis at navy.mil (Mattheis, William G CIV)
Date: Wed Sep 28 09:18:10 2005

David,

I recently experienced a problem with vertical streaks in very bright areas
in photos taken on Kodak 400TCN with my Voightlander Bessa-L and a
Voightlander Heliar 15mm lens.  A problem with the shutter seems unlikely in
my case as my Bessa is only a few months old, and has a metal vertical
moving shutter (it actually has two of them in fact) - - my experience is
that vertical streaks are typically representative of a horizontal moving
shutter vice a vertical one.

Can I ask what film you were using?  My streaks occurred while I was using
Kodak 400TCN.  The rest of the frames had no problems, so I assume that it
had to do with unwanted exposure of the first frame or two while I was
thought to the problem resulting from some degree of "flare" from the lens.
The 15mm Heliar is really fantastic and different.  It is not a fish eye but
its coverage it incredibly wide.  For example, i can't wear a baseball cap
with bill forward as the lens - according to the viewfinder - captures the
bill in the frame.  I have to turn the ball cap backward.

I have only used this lens for a few rolls, so I am still learning about it.
 I just acquired a 25mm Snapshot Skopar w/view finder (eBay NIB for $158.00)
and a 35mm f2.5 Classic on sale for $199 NIB from Stephen Gandy at
CameraQuest.  I have, and use, the following lens on my IIIf, my Nicca 3 and
my 3 Voightlander bodies (Bessa-L, Bessa-T and Bessa-R):

50mm, f3.5 Elmar (collapsable)
90mm, f4 Elmar
135mm Hektor in M mount
135mm Canon
50mm, f2.0 Nikkor (standard lens for the Nicca)
50mm f 1.5 Russina Nokton copy
50mm, f2 Russian Jupiter
the aforementioned Voightlander 15mm, 25mm and 35mm lens

The oldest of the lens, the Elmars are sort of "other worldly" in terms of
their "softness" and bokeh.  Not that they don't provide a share image, they
just seem to have a less contrasty, sort of ethereal quality.

The japanese lens, the Canon and the Nikkor are pretty contrasty and very
sharp.

The Jupiter is as sharp as a tack at all f stops, and gives great color
rendition - - go figure.  I have a bunch of them, and all are pretty good -
- just lucky, I guess.

The Voightlanders have to be the best bargain going for a high quality, rf
coupled lens currently in the market place.  My Bessa-L and Bessa-T are LTM
bodies, while the Bessa-R is an M mount body - - hence the M mount Hektor,
so I am pretty flexible in that regard.

Sorry for carrying on here.  My "vertical brite lines are such a unique
experience for me, I felt I just had to hear more about yours.

Bill
Message: 9