Subject: [Leica] Third time lucky?
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Mon Oct 3 14:44:58 2005

I received my third 50 Asph lens after seven months of waiting since
I (mea culpa) dropped my second one. This third one is the mort
consistant mechanically so far.

The first one had a very stiff, notchy feel when going from 0.7m to
1.1m. Yes, somewhat strangely, it was only a problem in the one
direction. It was so bad it was very difficult to focus in the close
range. That lens went back right away under warranty and, after a
wait of I think six months, they supplied another new one. This
second one had only a slight tight spot under exactly the same
circumstances and I judged it to be acceptable. It was working well
until I dropped it some feet onto a hard tile floor. Ouch and thank
goodness for passport!

The third one has a smooth, stiff feel all the way through the
focusing range with no particular bias as to direction. It is
slightly difficult to use only one finger on the focusing tab. The
feel is somewhat akin to the focusing action of the 90/2AA. I was
happiest with the second one but hopefully this one will loosen up
with use.

Now finally to shoot more than twenty rolls with the damn thing.

John Collier

PS: Optically it is a peach. My only criticism being that it is a bit
more flare prone than the Noctilux it replaced.

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Third time lucky?)