Subject: [Leica] Point Reyes Light House
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Fri Oct 7 17:15:41 2005

Our kids' teacher takes a trip to Pt. Reyes every year. Since both of our
kids have him as a teacher and the class is a combined 4th/5th class, we
ended up visiting the Light House 4 times in the last 7 years. This year we
made a last visit with the class. These are a few pictures from 2003 and
this year:

Several interesting notes about the Pt. Reyes Lighthouse:
- there are 302+ steps leading from the top to the lighthouse. It's a
fairly steep vertical drop.
- I believe the fresnel lens is the largest one in use at the point in the
continental USA. It uses a drop weight and a gear system to rotate the
whole assembly.

2003: they were doing some retrofitting and the railings needed reinforcing:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=916

2003: it's a long way down. During the early days, the supplies to the
light house crew in fact came in from the ocean side. It can be an awfully
lonely and demanding job:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=917

2003: part of the elaborate gear system:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=923

2003: it's exhausting even to kids...
http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=927

2003: from the bottom, it's a long way up too:
http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=928

2005: nothing changed much, except they painted the lighthouse in black and
white...
http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=928
Oh wait, it's because I was using B&W film :-)

2005: the Fresnel lens. Originally it used oil lamp, then replaced by
electric light.
http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5508

2005: (PAW week 42?) the house about to fall off the ocean houses the horn
on the top. Yes, I know the horizon is tilted.
http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5509

The photo album. Light houses are now an endangered specie, being replaced
by GPS system.
http://www.dragonsgate.net/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3109

use richard at imagecraft.com)

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Point Reyes Light House)