Subject: [Leica] DMR Battery Life
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sat Oct 8 16:48:17 2005

At 07:21 PM 10/8/2005, you wrote:
>Hi Tina,
>Please check ouot Marc Wiliam's impressions on Photonet at
>
>http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00DE6M
>
>about battery life. He gets about 250 pix per charge.
>
>Best Regards

And I get about 2500 with the Canon 1DMII!!  It's not that I object
to carrying extra batteries or the expense of extra batteries.  I
just don't want to have to worry about running out of juice in the
middle of something important.  I never had to worry about that with
the M7.  Those batteries would last for weeks.  I hope for and expect
the same from digital.  I was disappointed in the Canon 10D, my first
digital SLR.  I would have to change batteries at least once a day on
long jobs.  I ended up carrying about 10 extra batteries!!  With the
Canon 1DMII I carry 2 and don't usually have to use the second
one.  For two weeks in Honduras and again for two weeks in Guatemala,
I took 3000+ photos each time.  Each trip,  I used one 1DMII battery
for more than a week, replaced it with a fully charged battery and
came home with more than half of that battery still charged.

Another problem I have with the Canon 10D batteries, and I'm not sure
if it's the same with the DMR, but it certainly is with the the
Digilux, is that when I charge all of the spare batteries ahead of
time, they lose the charge as they sit on the shelf or in my
luggage.  I can put a fully recharged battery into my camera and find
that the power is already more than half gone.  That doesn't happen
with the 1DMII.  That battery stays fully charged for weeks until I
get around to using it.

These may seem like trivial problems to somebody who uses their
camera once or twice a week, but for somebody who has to rely on it
every day, it's very important.  I have been very pleasantly pleased
with the life of the Canon 1DMII battery and don't really care how
much it weighs!  It's worth it to know that I'm not going to have to
stop and replace it.

And I do have a connection for the car battery for the Canon,
too.  Mine came with every possible connection for every electrical
outlet in the world!  I'm carrying quite a few of them to China with me.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] DMR Battery Life)