Subject: [Leica] LHSA meeting
From: sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner)
Date: Sun Oct 9 07:43:16 2005

Ah yes, I just noticed marc's regrets at missing the San Francisco meeting
and his suggestion that the event remain dignified and decent, especially
avoiding a reduction into vulgarities.

Among other failings, I love music and opera, even "grand opera", and I also
love Gilbert & Sullivan. This is the first time I have ever heard G&S
referred to as a vulgarity (I know that will call forth Marc's required
description of the etymology of "vulgar" with which I am already familiar).

Years ago a droll London solicitor named Francis Cowper periodically
published a "London Journal" piece in the New York Law Journal. In one such
he recalled the comment of a House of Commons back bencher during a
particularly acrimonious debate, that it was no longer much fun being an
M.P. An older member responded: "My distinguished friend refers to a lack of
fun in this House. I remind my friend that we are not here to have fun; that
indeed going back to Magna Carta, there is not a single mention of fun in
any act of the Parliament."

Decent, LHSA meetings will always remain. Dignified I suppose depends on the
eye of the beholder. If it means limiting the amount of fun permitted, I
personally am opposed. C'mon Marc, lighten up!

Best to all,

Seth