Subject: [Leica] PAW : The Early Years :-)
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Mon Oct 10 17:12:50 2005

Thanks Graham,
I feel a bit the same about the FOM2 project. Weighted down with LUG
mail, fascinated by the fragile surface of humanity which is quickly
peeled away by e-mail immediacy, tired of hearing about street
photography technique but not seeing any results, and stimulated by the
original exhibition book, I challenged the group, including the
"big-names" to come out in an anonymous setting and compare images. Put
your money where your keyboard is.

5 years later, I'm amazed that it is now winding up. I look at the
standard of images coming in from those who have been there since 1999
and am amazed at the improvement. I think we will have far fewer pros
submitting this year: they have all gone with the pixel, no Kyle, no
Ted, no Tina, no Sandy so far, and yet the overall quality of the
images is IMHO as good.

Now I would love to see images from all our "pros" again in this year's
mix, but I'm sure they can be proud that they have helped raise the
standard and make it even harder for them to get a vote. All of them
were happy to help out in the mentor programme, helping others to
review and edit their images.

Anyway, you might be interested to know there are 3 publishers and one
exhibit organizer interested in FOM2, we have been asked to supply
images for a spread and story on the project in the Readers Digest ---
I'm not saying any of this will come off, and I'm still waiting to hear
from Aperture about interest, but it could be a good end to some great
times and good fun.

Cheers