Subject: [Leica] Black and White
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Tue Oct 11 18:46:49 2005

My answer is "coloured", but I "mostly" prefer the series in b/w. Why?
Ok, firstly, the colour images can distract you from the emotion of the
people. You have used mostly muted tones, which suit the series, but it
can still get in the way during a series. When I hang images in my
"gallery" (the 2 meter wide hallway Helen once thought of as a waste of
space) I find it is hard to mix b/w with colour, but even harder to mix
colour images which on their own look good, but whose obvious colour
temperature/balance differences make visual clashes. Your work is
focused on the people, not their clothing, so in general, I like your
work in b/w. That does not discount the value of the images as
individuals in colour.

For me, a great colour image is using the colour for a reason. This is
usually best when one colour is dominant. If an image contains all the
colours of the rainbow, it becomes messy and confused. Graphic striking
images focus attention whether they are in b/w or colour.

This is an image I think works in either b/w or colour

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album103/PAWextra

This is one which works fine in colour, but I prefer my b/w image

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album103/PAWextra003

Here I've tried to limit the colour palatte:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album103/PAWextra006

Here the graphic patterns were more important to me than the "realism"
of colour

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album103/PAWextra014

This is a colour image I prefer in b/w

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album103/PAWextra016