Subject: [Leica] First living Creature launched into Space? Trick Question.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Oct 14 14:19:45 2005

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3800.asp?id=12684

The first thing this guy mentions in his review of the Dlux 2 which I'd call
Dlux 2000 as it's more than a step up from the 1 it's a whole different
tool.

This under "Classic Driver Com" a European car website.
Not explanation as to why he'd giving a camera review. I suppose if one owns
a De Tomaso then Leica is squarely on topic just like Rolex and whatever
that fountain pen is. Stuff to put in your glove department.

But they guy starts of the review with:

"When I hear the name Leica, two Russian-related images come to mind.
Firstly the Sputnik-riding eponymous dog that was the first living creature
launched into space, and secondly the ?Red Flag? of the familiar crimson dot
on all the very best optical equipment. ?Leica? of course stands for ?Leitz
Camera?, and the celebrated German company has just announced a new addition
to its range products for the digital market, the D-Lux 2."

So the red "flag" or "dot" as we call it to these guy has a Russian
connotation. Now why didn't we think of that!?

And I'm not sure about this and another reviewer this month made the same
mistake but Leica would not stand for Leica camera any more. It would just
stand for itself. Like "Kodak". The "reviewers" experts on camera gear don't
know that Leitz went under what 20 years ago.

And the faction exists where people think that when Leitz Wetzlar turned
into Leica Solms it was no longer Leica.
So if it says "Leica " you know it's not a Leica.
If it says "Leitz" then you know its a Leica.
Has to do with Max Ernst still running the company or something like that.
Make that Ernst Leitz.
Thank goodness Ernst didn't change his last name to "Leica".
They'd run him out of the camera biz and he'd have to be an astronaut.
The German space program in a kind of limbo with Werner von Braun and his
crew moved to Fort Bliss, Texas, outside El Paso and near the White Sands
testing area in southeastern New Mexico. from their home sweet Peenemuende.
http://www.astronautix.com/sites/peeuende.htm
But as there is nothing like White Sands in Germany the were moved as their
contract expired to Huntsville "would be known in some circles as
"Peenemuende South."
Love to find out which "circles" they were.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/